Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bidding for Diana!

Mulla Nasruddin went to a mela.

He saw a crowd in a corner.

"50000 Dinars!"

"55000"

"65000 dinars!"

"66000!!!"

He was perplexed to hear the loud voices.

It didn't take his inquisitive mind long to figure out that traders were participating in an auction.

"70000 dinars!"

"72000"

"75000 dinars!"

"What is the auction for?" Mulla asked!

"I don't know exactly" replies an onlooker.

Mulla went to the person who was one of the traders putting the bids.

"What is the thing being auctioned?"

"Probably it has got something to do with a horse!" the trader replied.

"You are bidding and you don't even know that?" Mulla ridiculed the trader!

"Why should I bother? I came here to make money. I saw people bidding so competitively. I am sure it must be something precious they all are after!" the trader justified.

Another trader standing nearby heard the two's conversation and said

"I just came here. Somebody told me that the auction was related to the famous racing horse Diana! When I saw so many merchants so feverishly putting the bids I was sure that Diana must be precious!" replied the trader.

"Where is the Diana?" Mulla asked further.

"Don't know? Haven't seen!" the trader replied, visibly upset at the disturbing Mulla.

Mulla too wanted to bid for Diana.

He had a small bag full of gold coins he had won as prize from the sheikh in the previous town.

But he wanted to have a look at the Diana first.

He asked other traders but nobody had even a clue about Diana!

Then finally one trader said "Diana is probably hidden in that tent!"

Mulla saw a guarded tent at a distance.

He stealthily went to the rear of the tent and peeped inside.

He saw a goat inside!

A guard caught Mulla peeping inside.

"What are you doing here?" the guard asked.

"I am looking for Diana!" Mulla asked.

"Diana is not here!" the guard shot back.

"But the trader there said the auction was related to Diana-the racing horse!"

"Yeah! It is!" the guard nodded.

"But this is a goat!"

"This famous goat's milk is supplied by my master Sheikh Abdul for the consumption of Diana! My master hired the royal agents to auction the goat!"

No comments: