Sunday, February 21, 2010

Trading technique only for the frustrated,dejected & rejected!

This technique flashed in my head a few years ago when i was new in the market.

I was a sincere student of Technical Analysis (TA).

I was learning fast and well.

But I was losing.

Fast and Big.

I should have won some award for the consistency of losing!

If I bought a stock or nifty, it will go down! When I booked loss, it started coming up!!

If I sold a stock or nifty, it will go up! If I booked loss, it started going down!!

It was thoroughly frustrating and demoralising, to say the least!

I was dejected, felt rejected and almost ejected out of the market! I almost quit when suddenly one small amusing thought came to my head -

"If loss was to be considered profit and profit considered as loss, my success rate was almost 100%.

I felt like a genious (although in the opposite direction)!"

I was very very very consistent in losing.

That meant that all I had to do was do just the opposite of what I had been doing!!!

Since, I was already frustrated while everywhere around me people were minting money I gathered the guts to try this crazy technique for 1

week with an amount I was prepared to sacrifice!

Monday came, the markets opened and I asked myself

"what does your head say after seeing the market?" I had to be brutally honest, I told myself.

"Buy!", replied my head!

So I Sold!

And there you were!!

It started to fall!!!

Then I asked myself

"what does your head say now?"

"it is going to reverse now. I should book profit" my head honestly replied.

So I waited!!!

And it continued to fall!

That day I made a huge profit, for the first time ever!

That single event changed my life.

It occured to me that the fundamental reason for our loss is "our psychology, our thoughts"

I continued that strategy for over a week and I made handsome money.

At times I lost too! but that made me happier as my head was proved right!

That started injecting confidence into me!

So, I was either gaining money or gaining confidence!
...

...

Moral of the "real" story:-

1. when totally frustrated, try this "sanjeevni"

2. market drivers make the markets go opposite to what you think.

3. a trend continues till proven otherwise.

4. go with the trend.

5. never buy at support and sell at resistance till breakout or breakdown.

6. we are in the habit of believing what we want to believe. market won't reverse just because we want to book profit because that profit means a lot to us and we fear losing that profit!

7. our minds dance a bit too much!

8. don't believe too much in logic! learn to go with the magic!

No comments: