Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Have a break!

One of my friends in Delhi goes every year for annual family holidays of around 1-2 weeks.

He has never broken this routine "since 2002".

Each year this grand recreation and rejouvenation costs him around 50000 bucks.

This year he went to Chamba and Dalhousie in Himachal.

The family had a great time!

The photos he has sent me tell the whole story.

I called him yesterday after receiving the photos.

One of the thing that I couldn't resist asking him was

"How do fund your amazing vacations every year despite so many responsibilities at home?"

"It is a secret, Jagmohan!" is all he said and tried to change the topic.

I asked him again after a while and then he shared his "method".

"Every year I invest 1 to 1.5 lac bucks, in parts, in fundamentally good companies which are going thru cyclic downs or those having temporary bad times or those going thru off-season."

"And then I leave them alone. Literally."

"I have a look at their value only at the change of the season. For example, if I have invested in winters, I don't bother to look at them till Autumn. If I have invested in Spring, I rarely feel like looking at it till Winter!"

"When we feel like having a vacation I just have a look at the value of my special portfolio."

"6 times in past 7 years, the returns have ranged from 30% to 70%. Only in 2008, it was negative. I just shuffled the portfolio and waited and decided to opt for surplus funds from precious years to go to Rajasthan in winter."

"Last year I got a booty which we blew-off at Chamba last month and are still left with good amount"

"I have reinvested in Reliance Industries, Bharti Airtel and DLF last month."

"Next year we wish to go to Leh"

No comments: