Monday, April 19, 2010

"Thank you, Sethji!"

A beggar rushed to his daily begging spot outside Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).

He had to be there well in time before the market opened

so that he could beg from the traders getting in.

Since January he had to get up atleast one hour early due to enhancement of the trading times.

Anyhow, just like everybody else, he had no option but to get adjusted!

Today also, he managed to get there just in time.

He saw a big, fat and familiar trader coming towards the exchange.

He knew that this trader was primarily a day trader.

"Jai Sri Krishan, Sethji! 10 rupay deejeye na!" asked the begger.

The trader looked hawkishly at the begger, cold shouldered him and entered the exchange without yielding anything.

The begger was, obviously, disappointed.

He had just missed the "profit" to "fund" his breakfast!

Inside the exchange, the trader closed his eyes, prayed to his deity and started the trade!

It turned out to be an unexpected and tough day.

Markets were very volatile.

The trader lost good amount in day trading.

Hours passed.

Everyone waited for the closing bell.

Tired and dejected, the trader picked up his bag and came out.

The begger was still there.

"Jai Sri Krishan, Sethji!" the begger said.

The trader ignored him again,

but couldn't ignore the smile on his face.

"why are u beaming?" asked the trader to the begger.

"First tell me, Sethji, why are you so sad?" the begger shot.

"I lost a good amount in day trading today", murmurred the trader.

"But why r u so happy", the trader again asked the begger curiously?

"Sethji, when u didn't give me 10 rupees, I tried my luck in day trading, and I won a good amount" replied the begger.

"I think I won your money. My neighbour begger had told me that day trading is a zero sum game!"

"Thank you, Sethji!"

No comments: