Friday, March 5, 2010

To swing or not to swing? (Dilemma of a younger brother)

I have an elder brother who is into business.

He is famous in the family for being very lazy!

I am not a lazy person by any standards!

The brother is also into stock market as part time but has decent knowledge of the markets.

Being "lazy" he is more of a swing trader than a day trader!

On 11th Feb 2010, he bought two lots of nifty futures @ 4760 when he saw the confirmation of formation of a higher low!

Thereafter he left for Bangalore for some business trip.

He kept checking the nifty levels every evening when he got time and held on!

He just called me this morning after returning and told me that he has squared-off his trade @ 5110.

I just took out my calculator and found that bro had made a cool 350 points (Rs.35000/-) in flat 20 days!!!

....at an average of 23 points everyday (without fail)!

....with zero stress!!

....and a brokerage of just Rs.750/-!!!

"What about you?" he asked me....

Mercifully, he got a visitor and got busy before I could share the results of my daily adventures...

Here is my scorecard for the last 20 sessions (in terms of points earned)

5,32,51,4,17,8,4,-24,34,8,0,-17,6,26,12,-29,10,4,-10,18 = total 159 points (Rs. 15,900/-)

at what cost?

a brokerage of Rs.3,500/-

and highly stressful 120 hours!

My dilemma now?

To swing like a swing trader or jump like a day trader?

No comments: