Friday, December 4, 2020

how i conquered my fear of losing the profit

 i once coined a phrase to soothe myself and protect against the fear of losing the profit even when my system was reasonably green on the trade.

i would often fear that the market would eat away my profit already earned. i would often face increasingly strong butterflies in my stomach. people often complain about having sleepless nights because of adverse market movements leading to unbooked losses. but hardly anyone talks about having sleepless nights with unbooked profits.

i would check my trading system again and again. but despite my system assuring me a v high probability of trade going eventually my way (and often it did, with or without me), i would still feel so fearful of losing the much-valued profit that i would feel comfort only after booking the profit, partially, if not wholly.

eventually, that comfort would turn out to be salt on my wounds if not short-lived. the market would in my direction without me.

occasional market reversals only strengthened my fear.

"this can't go on forever", i said to myself.

one fine day, i was so fed up that my alter ego slapped me with the following line

"market is not after you! market can't see you. you as an individual are invisible to it. you yourself are conscious and coming in the way!"

it was like a thunderbolt of relief. i suddenly felt better.

it was only my fear and imagination - i thought.

that day my trading changed. i still had some reversals and loss of profits but those were much much less than what i gained. i had never stomached big profits till that day.

even a single massive profit often more than covers dozens of small losses.

recently, i realizedthat the above line is true beyond trading. it works amazingly well in almost every aspect of life.


No comments: