Tuesday, December 28, 2010

capacity

the auditorium burst

with waves of thunderous applause

by the final year students

of a reputed management institute

hypnotized by the electrifying speech

of the legendary businessman

invited to deliver the annual address!

--

immediately thereafter

open-house question-and-answer session started.

--

question after question

was put forward

only to be immortalised by the answers of

the businessman-of-the-decade!

--

after almost an hour

there was time for just one more question

--

"how do you effortlessly manage to increase

the turnover of your business

year after year

even when the sector is reeling under slowdown pressure!"

a girl student asked!

--

"when i was a child"

replied the veteran business-legend after a brief pause

"i used to accompany my grandfather to the temple.

the priest used to give me very sweet 'parshad' in my tiny folded hands.

it was so tasty that it used to be my main reason for daily going to temple!

but i always felt bad that i used to get very less of it!

my sweets used to finish too quickly!

one day, the priest noticed my sad face

and asked me for the reason!

'why do you give me so less sweets' i askedhim

'because you have so small hands' the priest told me.

that night i couldn't sleep well past midnight!

that day i had got the most precious lesson of my life

which stayed with me ever since.

i have always reminded myself

that to have more and bigger 'prashad'

from destiny

you need to have bigger folded hands to receive more!

you get only what you can comfortably hold and manage!

you get only what you are psychologically ready for...

it's not about the market-size

it's all about the basket-size!

since that day

whenever i have to increase the turnover

all i have to do is

stretch my mental barriers of reality

revise my definition of possible-impossible

upgrade the scale of my blue-print...

and that is the only constraint that i have to struggle to increase.

once that is done

everything else just falls into place

and i get the desired growth!"

No comments: