Saturday, July 10, 2010

My journey in stock market till now

I got interested in stock market in October 2003.

I opened my initial demat accounts in January 2004 with Consortium Securities and ICICI
Securities.

For almost 2-3 months I kept on studying about the stock trading thru notes downloaded from internet.

Then I started trading with very small capital.

I used my ICICI account for online trading and Consortium account for trading thru phone.

For around 3 years I kept on trading alternatively like a scared goat and a street dog.

Sometimes I made some profit, many times I ran into loss.

My learning graph was not rising all this while despite reading a lot of literature and theories.

Perhaps I lacked a forum like Mudraa or a guide or mentor. I had no companion wiith whom I could share my trades.

I was reading a lot but not experimenting.

I was not growing.

I am shocked to recall now that I had no system.

I shiver to recall that i used to trade on pure gut feeling, on tips, on market herd sentiment, on emotions or on the basis of frivolous ideas.

I had started to fly fighter jets when all I knew was how to switch it on and off!

I was not aware of things like trendlines, rsi, fibonacci, MACD etc.

Perhaps I lacked exposure and good company.

I was lucky enough not to lose my shirt in those lackluster 3 years.

Perhaps that was because I never knew much about Futures and Options.

I didn't have the margin required for the same.

All this while I wondered how some people made a lot of money in trading?

I quit many times only to return back after a few days.

I used to quit the market but the market didn't quit out of me!

All this while I kept on looking for alternative methods of "making money".

I wanted some avenue where I could make extra bucks legally alongwith my job.

But fortunately / unfortunately, I couldn't find any to my taste and constraints.

One thing I knew from the beginning that traditional business was not for me.

I shivered even at the thought of going thru the ordeal of applying for Sales Tax number, what to talk of surviving the inspector raj still prevalent!

By 2007, my ICICI account got terminated since I had almost stopped trading.

In January 2008, I met Rishant Verma, a young man around a decade younger than me, with whom I once happened to casually share that I "used to trade in stock".

This youngman had a fantasy of trading in shares.

He got after me to tell him about stock trading.

For initial few months I couldn't guide him much.

But when I saw that he simply wouldn't let me off the hook I started sharing my understanding and concepts with him.

I must confess what i knew at that time was only better than what he knew.

But everyday he used to come up with some question and i had to dig for the answer to it.

This way I started learning seriously.

A teacher grows faster when a student is there.

As I started to mentor Rishant, I settled into a routine.

A habit about anything can be the best thing to happen to you.

Suddenly, the trading ambitions in me started to sprout!

I started reading more and more.

This time, I had a laptop of my own with internet connection which was decisive in my growth in stock market understanding.

I opened a new demat account, this time with HDFC Securities.

Rishant and me started growing very fast in stock market understanding.

I must confess, Rishant turned out to be a student who had the talent to surprise any teacher.

I asked him not to venture Futures as none of us knew anything about Futures.

Despite my saying no to him, he read about it from net and took the plunge.

I kept watching him from the sidelines.

When nothing happened to him, I too started trading in Futures!

Rishant was particularly brilliant in BTST.

He used to buy a stock future at 3.29 pm and sell at 10.00am (in those days the market used
to open at 10am IST).

He had almost perfected the art to BTST.

I have shared his method in one of earliest posts.

Both I and Rishant opened Moneybhai account on moneycontrol.com

We used to dummy trade there and had a lot of fun underlined with learning.

Our favourite sites were economictimes.com, moneycontrol.com and bseindia.com.

We used to see charts at bseindia and y a h o o.

We used to study a lot of indicators.

we even used to "invent" our own indicators.

Everytime we came out with a "brilliant" idea or method, we used to feel like Immortals.

We thought we were going to be millionaires the next day!

Only to find ourselves floored the day-after!

All our "brilliant" ideas fizzled out overnight!!

a time came when we were so frustrated to see all our ideas turn out to be flops, that we started fearing and doubting new ideas. Fotunately, we didn't stop ourselves from day-dreaming.

Everytime we fell down, the love of stock market got us back on our feet.

By the end of 2009, Rishant got so much confidence in his BTST based trading method that he decided to quit his job and go full time into trading.

He quit and I was left alone.

That was the time when I started searching for an online forum and I came across mudraa.com.

On my very first day, I posted 10 buy calls on mudraa.

All got auto-deleted within 2 minutes!

I didn't know who deleted it!!

I was angry.

But then someone wrote to me that I was supposed to give reason behind my "technical" calls
otherwise site administrator will delete them.

I didn't have any logical reason.

For I knew no reason except my gut feeling on seeing the graph of a stock!

That was the time when I seriously started studying technical indicators.

I kept on studying and kept posting my notes on mudraa.

Fellow mudraaites kept appreciating and I kept reading and posting more and more.

Fearing that my articles on mudraa might someday get accidently deleted, I created my first blog www.thebestbusinessintheworld.blogspot.com and started posting all my articles there simultaneously.

Rest they say is history, atleast for me!

I smile with tears in my eyes when I look back at my journey in stock market.

From a scared goat and street dog to a hunting wolf and african elephant!

Miles to go but I am on THE road!!!

No comments: